Sunday 8 April 2012

The battle of the chip. TMC Tuning Box vs Dr Hannson Piggyback

I think this is going to be interesting... I had the luxury (or what some will call me crazy) to test both piggyback chip.  Somehow, I prefer piggyback chip over Stage 1 or 2 tuning as I could revert back to normal (or stock ECU) when I remove the piggyback from the sensors.

Having said the nonsense, here's my "journey of the (potato??) chips".

I installed TMC on my stock car.  Did a dyno run in Tampines using a running dyno.  The stock reading are as follows.
These readings were taken at DKC Jidousha (Blk 9002 Tampines Street 93, Industrial Park A #01-66. Singapore 528836), using a rolling road dyno. Please multiply all readings by factor of 1.2 to find engine power.


Stock Jetta Sports.
165 bhp - 5,500rpm
225 Nm - 3,500rpm

After installing with TMC
192 bhp - 6,000rpm
260 Nm - 3.400rpm

Wanted to go back to the same dyno after installing some goodies, but the dyno master went back to Japan to tune other cars, thus decided to go to another dyno company instead.

After installing other goodies like
BMC CDA

Audi S3/Golf R Intercooler
Bastuck Exhaust
its time for another run.  This time on a different dyno company.  The results are as follows.

Assuming only with TMC (Default at setting 6)
Before
192 bhp - 6,000rpm
260 Nm - 3.400rpm
(Assuming 1.2x power loss when measured at wheels)

After installing the goodies (listed above)
220 bhp - 5,600rpm
316 Nm - 3,000rpm
(Assuming 1.15x power loss when measured at wheels)

The ride feels powerful.  Power delivery is superb. 

 After using the TMC for a while, I decided to switch to Dr Hannson piggy back chip.  Some call it "Pigson" while some says its "Peggy" etc.  All I know is, its a chip that can be customised to suit your needs.  Currently, I am still on standard setting (default at 4). 
 

Here are the results.

Oh ya, I also a bit backside itchy and took out the TMC previously and did a run to see how much power the car had lost.

With 3 goodies only (dotted blue line)
193 bhp - 5,600rpm
273 Nm - 4,500rpm
(Assuming 1.15x power loss when measured at wheels)

Together with Dr Hannson Piggyback chip (Blue solid line)
223 bhp - 5,600rpm
318.9 Nm - 3,700rpm
(Assuming 1.15x power loss when measured at wheels)

TMC (blue solid line)
220 bhp - 5,600rpm
305 Nm - 5,000rpm
(Assuming 1.15x power loss when measured at wheels)

Comparing Dr Hannson Piggyback with TMC, the difference is 3 bhp, 2 Nm torque gain.  Power wise, the TMC feels more linear and slightly more powerful at the lower rpm.  As for Dr Hannson chip, the lower rpm feels lesser power but when the surge comes in, the "G-force" pulls is much more exhilarating.  Haha, I felt that should be the way a turbo charged car should behave.   Not too sure about a twin charged one since the supercharger should already eliminate the "turbo lag".

Connection wise, the TMC takes reference with 3 sensor points namely, Boost Sensor, Intake Manifold Sensor and Cam Position Sensor.  Dr Hannson chip has an addition Wastegate Sensor on top of the other 3 sensors mentioned.  Using my defi boost meter as gauge, the TMC spike at 1.7 bar while Dr Hannson chip spike at 1.6 bar.

Now, I wonder what will happen if I were to do custom tuned on Dr Hannson Chip or change the jumper setting from 4 to 5 or maybe 6...

Haha...

Poisonous yeah?

11 comments:

  1. On your second test it looks like the Hannson (green lines) only made around 300 nm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think u r rite... i also got confused by the similar colour from the graph... will update accordingly...

      thanks again. :)

      Delete
    2. Looking thru the graphs again, I realised I have tagged the colour code wrongly.

      Dotted Blue is with stock ecu (+ extra)
      Blue is using Dr Hannson Chip
      Green is using TMC.

      Delete
  2. Mind to chat ?
    Want to know ur DSG same with 7speed dry gear box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danny,
      Thanks for dropping by...

      WRT 7Sp DSG, unfortunately, yes.. I am using the 7sp DSG.

      Delete
  3. hey thank you for the review very useful.

    i wonder is it possilbe to use an after market downpipe ( with cat or de-cat ) with tcm piggyback.
    i dont want to reflash my ecu cosz 1 i want to "keep" my warranty 2 i dont want to waste my tmc piggyback...

    thank you. ivan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, missed out replying your message. I'm sure it can use aftermarket down pipe with cat/without. It may just not tuned optimally, but I'm sure you will still have decent hp/Nm gains. Think I got a friend in the scirocco doing this.. Didn't hear any issue so far.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi can I know what is the exhaust sound like? solid or slightly louder then original?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially after installing the exhaust, it sounded very bassy and decently loud. My newborn daughter then will be woken up by the sound off exhaust in the car.

      After a while, somehow it became softer and I could only mildly heard it now. However, during engine cold start, the exhaust note is more pronounced.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this informative articles.
    Performance tuning

    ReplyDelete