Friday 27 May 2011

My VW Jetta Sports Mod Journey

Finally decided to pen down (or rather type down) what I had done to my car.



The beginning of my VW Jetta Sports Mod Journey
First...
Delivery date : 30 Oct 2010
Venue : VCS
Time : 1250H


Next, drove to my in laws place (abt 3 hrs later) and then took the next shot.


Five (5) days later, a ROC R/GTi Bro brought me to this place and taught me how to take this pic. We took about an hour on this angle alone..


Few days later, a colleague of mine poisoned me with this and i had it installed..
front

rear


about 2 weeks later, I decided to change from this

to this


I have been driving small cars all these while and couldn't really handle the length of this car and thus i decided to install the rear view camera. Here's the extent of the job required.



forgot to include the final product...



Feeling the car a bit on the "tall" side, i decided to lower it with Eibach Pro-Kit.
After lowering, the car now looks like this.


close up on the front


After lowering, I found this bar (2 of them) and decide to install it to strengthen the already strong VW chassis.


and i also decide to "de-badge" the car to give a more "clean" look behind


can guess the words? My friends says its JETTA STI....

 
Here, its hot all year round.  Installing solar films is a MUST! Decides to opt for 3M solar film to counter the heat.
 

Was thinking of upgrading my brakes eventually, thus, have to settle the wheels 1st.

thus from this...


to this...


Next, here comes the brakes.


along with ssbh


the overall looks after springs, wheels and brakes changed.  Deciding on what type of rear brakes I should settle for.


After settling the brakes, its time to settle the sound again. Initially I installed the Pioneer under seat woofer to complement the stock speakers. was good enough... (to be continued)
here's the excess work to install the Pioneer TS-WX11A


(continued) Until I heard that there is Dynaudio specific to VW. decided to go with it as i had heard dynaudio sound long time ago but couldn't afford last time.


The stock speakers were replaced with new harness as well...
Original Speakers (Front)



Original Speakers (Rear)


To Dynaudio speakers


took a whole day just to wire up the speakers using the new harness, but its worth it!


Finally the missing identity badge that I have been waiting for.


The original pioneer TS-WX11A had to make way for the amplifier, thus the bass was missing. therefore, I went back to my parents place and took out a 12" woofer that was lying on my room cupboard for 10 yrs and had it installed (finally) on my jetta, pairing it with my genesis profile sub amplifier.

the B-52 old school dual voice coil 400W subwoofer


Pairing with Genesis Profile Sub Amplifier


overall look


car now is without spare tyre (again). Haven't been having a spare tyre since my Peugeot 206cc and my Mitsubishi Colt Version R.

Since I have a 1 Farad Capacitor lying in my storeroom, decided to DIY and install it into my car.  At the same time, to protect the woofer from damaging, I found a Kicker woofer grill.  wondering why it only have it in plastic for the 12" and metal for the 10"?  here's the final overall look.



Accessories.
Since I m also a non smoker, i decided to "throw away" the ash tray and make way for this..


didn't know how to remove the headlamp switch and ask for help...


thanks davecurtain (VAGSG) for his assistance, i successfully did this conversation.


and at the same time, DIY this...


bluffing myself that i m driving a MK5.5 Jetta Sports haha...

Looking bored with rubber original paddles, decides to install the OSIR dead foot rest along with OEM sports paddles.

as well as OSIR alloy paddle shifts



Along the way, I kenna poisoned deep deep and decided to change to some "R" parts..


2011 "R" Gear knob.


Was told that my car bhp increases by another 20 for the steering wheel and another 15 for the gear knob! haha

Finally to match the white stitching of the steering wheel and the gear lever, the handbrake grip was changed to the white stitching as well.


Enhancing the safety of the car at night, I have installed the door light.


And to give the rear interior a little more luxurious feel, the floor was lit with 2 lamps mounted on the front seats.  Let there be light!







Err, fog lamp blown??

Not really...

Feeling that the car looks to saloon and decided to give the car a little different look, thus, got the boot lip installed


closed up view


Managed to spot the spotlight?


Performance.
One good way of not using the horn and yet achieving a loud sound is installing this... other than serving this functions as releasing pressure to the atmosphere to prolong the turbo...


I love TURBO charge cars, mainly because of this!  Too bad, it doesn't sound like HKS SSQV...
 
Next, a friend of mine recommended me this relatively cheap modification that will increases the power by 20%! true enough i did a dyno and here's the findings.  Was only on K&N drop in filter with this chip.


Jetta 1.4 Tsi (160hp)
Before: 165hp, 225nm
After: 192hp, 260nm
Gain: +27hp, +35nm


These readings were taken at DKC Jidousha (Blk 9002 Tampines Street 93, Industrial Park A #01-66. Singapore 528836), using a rolling road dyno. Please multiply all readings by factor of 1.2 to find engine power.

My engine bay has been pretty clean, but i decided to change from the drop in filter to BMC CDA.


Decided to go for LTA friendly exhaust but 1st the original rear valance does not have exhaust outlet. so, while waiting patiently for my exhaust to arrive, i have to..
1. either cut a hole on my existing rear valance or
2. get the GLi rear valance.

Thus decided to go for option 2 as i guess it will be neater and nicer. hope i didn't make the wrong choice and here's the pic before my exhaust arrives...



side view


 Here's another look on the GLi bumper... looks a bit weird without any exhaust tip now... hope the exhaust comes fast...


Finally, after about 2 weeks of waiting... the exhaust is here..
From the original muffler to



To Bastuck (LTA Friendly!)


Completed the look with my GLi rear valance. it sounded nice and bassy too (can be heard from inside the cabin).


Finally my "exhausted" Jetta! However, my poor stock exhaust had to be cut into 2 before it could be removed.



to make sure i don't get into trouble.  immediately I head to STA for inspection and waited about half an hour to get this.



Next, this is a picture of my intercooler. no prize will be given for guessing what i have installed...



(Answer: Audi S3 / Golf R IC - same part number)


A forum guy posted this on the VAGSG and I got this (cos the guy in front of was thinking hard to spend this money i guess).  SSBH ready as well...


Along with 312mm ventilated rotors.



I was a bit sad (25 May).  I wanna install my rear brake kit... all ready liao, but only to realise that there is a missing part... a metal pipe/hose that connects the calipers to the brake hose. sianz....

need to order the parts before I can complete the installation... 

nevertheless, here's some of the pics during the process.
moments (thinking) before the brakes were converted.


my mechanic surprised me with this... this used to be a plain rotors.


the calipers and brackets sprayed to match my front AP.



cleaning up the bolts before installation...


comparing the size of the R32 vs my stock rotors.


Finally the day has come as the missing parts finally arrived... had waited patiently for it for almost a week and these items are finally here... err not the iPad hor.. hee hee



How this pipe was needed...


Now the calipers are ready for installation... here's the final process of my (Jetta) R32 rear brakes conversion.

the nicely curved slotted ventilated


after installing the calipers


together with SSBH


the final look with a "fake" AP Racing sticker.


another view of the rear brakes..

now what should i do with this...



the matching front and rear calipers look... (might not be able to see clearly).


during the process of waiting for the metal pipes to arrive, i have also decided to improve the "cornering" by replacing from this
.


to this.






Finally, if you asked me, what is the consumption of the car... VW tagged it as 15.4km/l when they sold the car to me... but my best fuel consumption achieved was



But that's 100% Highway!  and also that's before modification. not too sure how the car can achieve 700-800km per tank while the best i did was only 600km. now with the extra load, i think its only doing 10km/l now... well, just enjoy driving it. worry too much abt fuel economy, i guess i should be driving a hybrid.

I think my 10km/l was largely due to my idling time in the car cos I was enjoying my Dynaudio.  Recently, the consumption was back to a more "normal" 11km/l which I have been enjoying it previously.

Well, this is by far my best fuel consumption per tank.
 

Before I signed off (for the time being), allow me to share with u a free modification that allows u to read ur cash card value easier on ur IU.



 
just use the lower slot of the IU bracket.  Works better on the older IU.

signing off (for the time being, until there is newer update), here's 2 shots i did on my car...






































If u ask me how i do this shot, i will say "i travel at 200km/h, 'sar' corner, stick out my hand with my camera in place and snap it".

Of cos not lah!


(",)

Note : here is the more easier to read summary of my modifications.
http://ironman76.blogspot.com/2011/10/volkswagen-jetta-sports-summary-of-mods.html

29 comments:

  1. Nice mods... see ya' at the merge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy, came across your blog on VAG, 1 particular mod u did caught my attention.

    How did u convert the ashtray thingy to become a neat compartment?

    I'm driving a scirocco, have the same ashtray thingy as you in the exact same area.

    Pls advice :)
    leejwderek@gmail.com

    Thank u & cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the item from ecstuning.com

    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.0T/Interior/Dashboard/ES263961/

    Not too sure if it fits the ROC...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stories and pictures mate.
    Able to provide any references to where you got your mods/work done? Pretty sure your mechanic would appreciate any recommendations you put his way.
    And a couple of questions if you don't mind answering at your leisure:
    1) Why not an ecu re-tune as heard of which unleashes the full 200horses? Or that tmc chip+tuning you put can be reversed just by say, 'unplugging'?
    2) All parts are available in Singapore or you have to order them through online means?
    3) What did you do with your existing brakes? Throw them away or kept in ur cupboard for the next 999yrs until you buy next car? :)

    Great review, some very nice modifications and do hope to see an update as to get some consumption figures, handling or perhaps more 'poison' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the very very kind words... after reading it for a while i find that its a bit difficult and the information seems to be all over the place... that's y i've decided to re classify them. take a look below and feel free to comments...

    http://ironman76.blogspot.com/2011/10/volkswagen-jetta-sports-summary-of-mods.html

    to answer your question.
    1. I didn't go for ECU tuning (ie Stage 1 etc) due to the fact that my car is already doing almost 200bhp by just adding a TMC tuning box which cost about 1/3-1/2 of the price cheaper as compared to the usual Stage 1 ECU tuning. furthermore, I can still disassemble and sell the "box" to another twincharger VW (Golf, Jetta, ROC), whereas i couldn't do it for ECU tuning.

    2. Some parts are not from SG, and I had order them online and some I've DIY while others I just leave it to the professionals to do it (a bit lazy nowadays). hee hee...

    3. Brakes. Ya, they are lying inside my storeroom collecting dust. luckily, my nice mechanic wrapped it nicely for me, in case i decide to dekit. which i think its quite unlikely due to the high COE here.

    once again, thanks for your kind comments and i look forward to more comments from u.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pictures!!!

    by the way, what "number" did you set on this TMC Tuning Box?

    Thanks!!

    Aron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment..

      Was on default setting, I think 6. Sold this chip for another customized piggyback chip already.

      Delete
  7. i see!! Thx for your reply!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any reason for selling the TMC piggyback? Found another brand with better performance? If so please share :D

    Also wanna ask did the piggyback really gave you better fuel consumption?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new chip I m using taps on 4 sensors point instead of 3 by TMC. It can load customized maps onto the chip other than different jumper settings like the TMC. Running on "standard tune" at setting 4 now, the car experience a slight dip in power at the lower revs but a slightly higher power at the higher revs. Car is currently doing 223 bhp, 318nm as compare to 220 bhp, 313nm.

      Not too sure if the chip does gives me better fuel efficiency... Even if it does, it's not significant. I m doing about 11+ 12 km/l now.

      Delete
    2. May i know what brand of new chip you been using?Is it suitable for MK6 GTI?

      Delete
    3. I m not too sure about the "brand" of the chip... only know the chip is from Germany with TUV certification and it uses factory sensor connectors, without any cutting/splicing etc. Let me check with him to see if there is indeed a brand for it... He calls it Peggy or some call it pigson :)

      I heard the chip was from this company call DTE System, seems like some diesel tuning or something...

      I found out from the forum that someone who's driving the MK6 GTi replaced his stage 1 with his chip and he mentioned that based on his butt feel, its at least 5% better than his stage 1 tuned.

      Poisoned enough?? :)

      Delete
  9. Wahhh, Really kaa. Maybe you can recommend me the brand of piggyback and how much the cost of that unit?I wanted to install at my Gti MK6 and looking for better brand of air intake too. Then one more thing, Is it AP Racing better braking system compare with Alcon, Brembo, Forge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think u link up directly with him better... i didn't buy the chip brand new so i am also not too sure what's the actual price... especially when i m driving a 1.4 Jetta Sports while urs in a 2.0GTI.

      As for air intake, I have been using BMC CDA all these while. while in my younger days, i have open pod filters and the suction sound sounds very nice~~ but it does have a fair bit of lag on the lower end as compare to my BMC. On a separate note, i think ur 2.0T does have a slight issue if u use aftermarket open pod filters that u cannot put the engine cover... unless its a drop in replacement.

      As for BBK, I only tried ATS and AP. Never tested Brembo, Alcon nor Forge. Doesn't seems fair to comment like that... But I am quite particular in terms of looks, so for Alcon, the signature slots are "J" hook. So to match the rear with "J" hook it seems quite impossible. As for mine, i was quite impressed that my mechanic can help me do a curve slot on a original rear rotors, to match my AP Pro 5000+ front rotors.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for you reply. The things i'm planing to buy TMC piggyback but still research other brands which more better. The way your story is much better if compare with TMC brand. Hope you can give me the contract. I hope so after install piggyback can get till 27+km without problem with DSG issue. heheheheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, u made me sound like I am the salesman for the new chip I am currently using. To be fair to TMC, it does served my needs. but this new chip , being at lower revs, its less powerful (very slightly) as compared to TMC is ok. Cos i don't need the power anyway...

      If i don't like the power curve, i can still customise as though its "stage 1". Guess that the beauty of this chip..

      If you wanna get the chip, drop a note to him at doctor.hannson@gmail.com. Best to ask him directly on the pricing as well..

      Btw, too many anonymous here, am I talking to the MK6 GTi? what DSG issues u got?

      Delete
  11. My messaged started on 24 march. I went through the webpage about TMC and comments that's why a bit worries same say they will have problem with DSG after installation. Anyway your mod is nice bro, about the braking system maybe i choose Forge brand. Thanks for your contact bro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah I c. So far I didn't have any issue with tmc & DSG. But I don't see a link leh...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ivan, looking at the posts, quite interested in the chip u r using. Was considering stage 1 running. But since your chip can achieve quite close to the effect and at a fraction of the cost, may go for yours. Care to share the contact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. U r refering to Dr Hannson chip or TMC tuning box?

      Delete
    2. I think it's the TMC tuning box. Which one gave u the 192bhp?

      Delete
    3. I got the TMC from "Singslider" in VAGSG. Now, i think there is a distributor who is able to provide warranty service for the product as well.

      Personally, TMC is like stage 1 except u cannot customise much and solely depends on the chip it self to determine the optimum mapping. If you are not into customisation, i think TMC should be good enough. The beauty of piggy back chip is that u can revert back to stock whereas stage 1 will be able to tell as the ECU programme had been written,

      U can visit my write up on the 2 chips that I've used thru the link below.
      http://ironman76.blogspot.com/2012/04/battle-of-chip-tmc-tuning-box-vs-dr.html

      Delete
  14. I just bought a VW Jetta and happened on your blog and pics while looking for things I can do to modify certain areas of my car. Love what you've done. I was just wondering. Up close to the top (when you installed the new braking) I saw a pic of what I thought was your car with Pirelli tires and the picture directly below it had a Michelin tire. Why would you change to Michelin from Pirelli? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by..

      the Pirelli tyres i used was original for vw. its P7 205/55R16 iirc. the grip was not fantastic, probably due to the high torque of this twincharged engine. Thus decide to use other tyres instead.

      Changed to Michelin Pilot Sports 3, then Michelin Pilot Super Sports. But I still prefers the tyres I am using now which is Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2.

      Delete
  15. I like this post so keep it up for more post and you provide very nice indeed so thanks and know more just click here

    ReplyDelete
  16. May i know the workshop you used for your audio and reverse camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it at Nam Huat, but the guys who does it seems to have left the company.

      Delete
  17. Hi, I notice you have a boost gauge and may I know where you tap your boost pressure in your engine.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete