Friday 24 June 2011

My 1st Dream Car - Mitsubishi Pajero Mini

My first car, my dream car. Saw the catalogue and keep day dreaming about it.  Went down to Cycle & Carriage a few times to look at the Pajero Mini.  Kenna a few rude salesman and "see me no up" kind as well... 

Well, I really don't blame them, cos at that time, I am only a 22 yr old boy. 

Then one fine day in 1999, I noticed a kind and nice saleslady running up and down at Cycle & Carriage Showroom.  I asked her for her assistance but she told me she is attending to a customer and asked me to wait for another 5 mins.  Having waited for about half hour, I decided to wait for another 5 mins.  

When she completes her sales with the customer, she approached me.  Then, I asked her if there is a Pajero Mini on display and her reply was, the old one is discontinued while the new one will be arriving at the launch at Takashimaya in 2 weeks time.  Feeling great as I was told the car was bigger as compared to the previous model.  Next is how to convinced my parents to go down to Takashimaya with me.  Well, I somehow managed to and bring them along to Takashimaya on a Saturday afternoon 3pm to view the new Pajero Mini.

On the actual day, I met this nice saleslady and she showed me the car.  I was amazed that the car came with leather seats but with a old technology of winding up the windows.  She said she could make it motorised, and quietly tell me the car doesn't comes with leather seats.  Next, I asked if there is a test drive car to drive and after checking, she arranged for 2 cars! both auto and manual!  Superb service!

When down to Cycle & Carriage the next day, nicely greeted was 2 Pajero Minis waiting for me to test drive.

After trying both the 3 speed Auto and the 5 speed manual, I decided to opt for the 5 speed, 659cc non turbo Pajero Mini XR-II.  The price tag, a whopping $81,800! COE alone was $45K then. My dad paid the deposit almost without thinking. Thanks Dad!

At that time, a Lancer GLXi 1.3L was only $79,800.  I was tempted to change to the Lancer as its more spacious and comfortable as compared to the Pajero Mini.  But my dad says its ok.  Since I love the Pajero Mini so much.  Once again, thanks Daddy! :)

3 months later, I got the COE! and a nice number plate that I am holding till now.  My colleague asked me if I have bid the number I said no.  The next best thing is, I collected the car 3 days after my birthday!  A nice birthday present from my Dad!

Now cut story short, here's some of the pics that I still have.  That time, digital camera is relatively expensive and I managed to get hold of a Sony Mavica that uses a 1.44MB Floppy Disk!

Enjoy the pics... :)
 
 The center console that houses my audio.


"Open up" view - with Nera Digital TV
The Processors, Digital TV receiver and Audio Control Overdrive under the driver seats


Clarion 6 disc DVD changer under the passenger seat
Audio Control EQL behind left passenger seat
Alpine V12 2Ch and 4Ch Amplifier

The overall rear boot look

My 1st Dream car was with me for 3.5 yrs.  I wanted to keep the car and have not been giving me any problem, despite every gear change is at 5,000 rpm and I have achieved a top speed of 140km/h, 5th gear at 7,000rpm redline!

I had also participated in one of the Kallang Advance Rally Course and I actually won a 1st position (Salom Course) then.  Everyone is shocked!  Too bad I don't have the pictures anymore.. During the course, a local mag photographer took a shot and placed it on the cover paged a local magazine. 



Until I can find more pics of the engine bay and other pictures... Here's a tribute to my 1st dream car..

May I present to you, the Mitsubishi Pajero Mini XR-II! :)

2 comments:

  1. Though it is smaller than a Mitsubishi Pajero, it looks as powerful as its 'Big Brother.' Moreover, you could put a portable digital TV inside, which would have turned your sporty car into a high-tech one at that time. If I would be an owner of that Mini, I'd still be proud to face it against newer models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by. Yup, I still like this car. There was once a big brother pajero parked beside me and it really made my pajero a real mini.

    Yup, I had tried to turn my pajero mini into a high tech car. Just missing a GPS which was then not available or I don't know where to find one.

    Recently, my neighbor bought a pajero mini and made me remember the times when I own this car.

    ReplyDelete